60 Pleasant Street, Lower Level
Newburyport, MA 01950
Phone: (978) 465-4405
Fax: (978) 465-4452
Gary W. Calderwood, Building Commissioner
Ken Ward, Assistant Building Inspector
Barbara A. Pulaski, Administrative Assistant
Building Commissioner's In-Office Hours:
Monday: 8:30am - 10:30am
Wednesday: 8:30am - 10:30am
Thursday: 6:30pm - 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:30am -10:00am
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Ensuring all legal and code requirements are met before permits are issued
- Issuing Building Permits
- Inspections to ensure safe construction, consistent with building codes and local ordinance
- Enforcing City of Newburyport Zoning Bylaws, State Building Code, and Sign Codes.
- Investigating building and zoning complaints
- Citing violations and imposing fines when necessary
- Issuing occupancy permits
- Annual inspection of all places of assembly
Building Permit Fees:
$50.00 for the first thousand dollars of estimated work value and $10.00 for each additional thousand or part thereof.
Check-List to be submitted with all Applications:
Prior to submission of your application, please check this list of REQUIRED ITEMS (other items may be required as needed) to ensure a complete submission for review only. Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Completed application form.
- Site plan required for new homes/additions.
- Two (2) sets of structural plans including foundation, framing, and window schedule.
- Signed energy calculation form, "Appendix J"
- Copy of construction supervisor license and/or home improvement license.
- Full copy of all applicable Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, and/or Conservation Commission decisions recorded at the Registry of Deeds in Salem, MA, if required.
- Plum Island construction needs to be approved by the Conservation Commission and the Board of Health.
- Swimming pool permits need to be signed by the Board of Health and require Construction drawings by the manufacturer including a copy of the filter system specification.